Astana, which means capital in Kazakh, has been the capital of the Republic of Kazakhstan since December 1997.
The historic and cultural value of the city consists of numerous religious buildings, the main of which is the & Łazaret Mosque; Hazret Sultaniye; and Nur Astana; as well as the Catholic cathedral of the Archdiocese of the Holy Virgin Mary. In addition to religious buildings, the city has a large number of museums, concert halls, theaters, libraries, civic and administrative buildings. The citys main landmark is considered a landmark – a monument called the Bayterek.
The site where the city is now located was a strategically important crossroads of commerce. Archaeological research has revealed that there was life there from the Bronze Age. Within the city limits are a kurgank and the town of Bazok, which have provided researchers with valuable data on the ancient history of the area.
The town was originally founded in 1830 as a cossack stronghold called Akkomolinsk. Gradually the fortress became adjacent streets, which resulted in the formation of the city, which in the 19th century became the center of the district.
In the early 1960s, Akkomolinsk is changed to Ökoligrad, but in 31 years it is renamed Akkomol, which means White Holy Land in Kazakh. In 1997, a decree was issued on the transfer of the capital to Akmola from Almaty, and on May 6, 1998, the city receives the name of Astana. Since then, Astana has been developing, growing and prospering. It hosts a variety of international sporting events, as well as conferences and seminars.
The main economic sectors of the city are trade, communications, transportation and construction, It also pays attention to manufacturing, specializing in machinery, food products and construction materials.
- Air quality: 65 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 810,000 people
- GDP: $7,705 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 9 Mbps
- Best wireless: http://www.kcell.kz/
- Tipping: Tipping is not customary in Kazakhstan, as a service charge is included in hotel and restaurant bills. However, as more tourists arrive tipping is becoming more common. There is also a fixed charge on taxi and railway transport, so many taxi drivers won’t take tips unless travellers insist repeatedly.
- Apartment listings: http://www.travelmob.com
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: http://www.diplomathotel.kz/
- Best coffee: http://hotel diplomat & business center
- Best taxi: Yandex Taxi
- Best coworking space: http://multispace.kz/
- Best hospital: http://capital hostel astana
- Best short-haul air carrier: Air Astana
- Best intl air carrier: Air Astana
- Monthly costs for expat: $850
- Monthly costs for family: $1600
- Monthly costs for local: $460
- Meal: $3.5
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.8
- Coffee: $1.2
View Larger Map