Bay Islands is a group of islands off the coast of Honduras. Together, the islands form one of the 18 departments of Honduras . The capital of the department is Coxen Hole, on the island of Roatán.
The total area of the islands is 250 km. In 2013, their population was 71,500. The islands consist of three distinct groups:
1. The Swan Islands, the northernmost.
2. Islas de la Bahia (with the main islands of Roatan , Guanaja and Etila and numerous satellite islands) 120 km to the south.
3. Cayos Cochinos , to the south.
100 USD = 2,466.45 HNL
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 66,000 people
- GDP: $2,361 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 7 Mbps
- Best wireless: Tigo
- Tipping: Hondurans in the restaurant and hospitality industry have meager salaries, making tips an important part of their income. Nevertheless, there are no standard rules when it comes to tipping. You often can use your own judgment when deciding how much to tip. Tipping at restaurants and bars Servicio printed on your bill means there’s an obligatory tip included, whereas a propina voluntaria means a suggested, voluntary tip. Some restaurants do not have any of these two. In any case, a proper tip for your servers is 10-15% of the total bill. Tour guides do not make much, so it’s nice to leave a tip. If you’re in for a rafting, zipline, or hiking excursion, a $5-$10 tip is suitable. No need to tip your taxi driver in Honduras. Give no less than $1 per bag for the porter, and $2-$3 per night for the hotel maid. It’s better to tip in the local currency (lempiras).
- Apartment listings: AirBnb
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best intl air carrier: American Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $1500
- Monthly costs for family: $2700
- Monthly costs for local: $750
- Meal: $6.5
- Small Cola: $0.9
- Beer 1 Pint: $2.5
- Coffee: $2.5
View Larger Map