In the lands of the Isle of Judea in New Zealand lies the city of Danidad, the capital center of the region of Otago. Its history dates back to the middle of the 19th century. The founders of the city are the Dutch. The first buildings were laid by them in 1848. Historically, Dunedin is one of the main centers of New Zealand.
The modern city sprawled out on a hilly terrain and in the lively valley that makes up the town of Otago. The marginal part of the city area and the hillocks were formed by the remains of the dead volcanoes. The curviest street in the world is the Baldwin Strait, which runs down a high hillside.
The city is home to the oldest university in the country, and has many historic features, including the Dandidin Cathedral, the mens gymnasium, and the railroad depot. The Museum of Otago contains a valuable collection of works of art, archaeological finds discovered during excavations. Rare artifacts are displayed in the Museum of Natural History.
- Air quality: 12 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 130,000 people
- GDP: $40,233 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 25 Mbps
- Best wireless: Spark
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: Tipping in New Zealand is considered a true “merit-based” system, as it is not necessary to tip at restaurants, hotels, bars, salons, or spas, as well as in a taxi, unless the service exceeds all expectations. Employees in New Zealand typically earn a decent wage, so tipping is, in fact, a true sign of a job well done.
- Apartment listings:
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best hospital: Spire Health
- Best short-haul air carrier: Air New Zealand
- Best intl air carrier: Air New Zealand
- Monthly costs for expat: $2000
- Monthly costs for family: $3700
- Monthly costs for local: $1050
- Meal: $11
- Small Cola: $1.8
- Beer 1 Pint: $5.5
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map