The capital of the Solomon Islands is located in the northernmost part of the island of Guadalcanal, the largest in the country. Proximity to the equator determines a steady temperature regime of around 25° and the changing seasons are governed by humid mousses and dry passages.
Honora – a young city. It grew out of the fishing village of Naho-nee-Ara after World War II. The island, which had belonged to Britain since the end of the 19th century, was invaded by the Imperial Japanese forces in 1941-43. After the Battle of the Bulge (1943), the British administration returned to the island and decided to move the center of power from Tullah Island to that place. Since 1978, Honiara has been the capital of the independent state of the Solomon Islands.
The Pointe Crouse Station in Honiara is said to be – the site of the first landing of the Jews on the island. It was the expedition of the Spaniard Algero de Mendaña (1567). Here is the cultural center of the capital. Honyara – the famous center of diving. In the waters around the island of Houdalakanal &làdàlakanë » the wrecked ships, the World War II airplanes that were shot down are still there. In conjunction with the pt and varied underwater world, this area of diving is also of great interest to researchers and photographers.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 65,000 people
- GDP: $1,892 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Best wireless: Our Telekom
- Tipping: There is no tipping on the Solomon Islands and visitors are requested to honour this local custom.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Lime Lounge
- Best hospital: Good Samaritan Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: Qantas
- Best intl air carrier: Qantas
- Monthly costs for expat: $2000
- Monthly costs for family: $4000
- Monthly costs for local: $1150
- Meal: $11
- Small Cola: $1.9
- Beer 1 Pint: $4.5
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map