Jarabacoa is a popular mountain resort in the Dominican Republic, and it is from here that you can climb Duarte Peak. The cool summers and picturesque pine scenery as a backdrop create perfect conditions for rafting, canoeing, and mountain biking. The town got its moment of worldwide fame when one of the nearby Jimenoa Falls became the location for the filming of the movie “Jurassic Park.” Since coffee is grown in this region, be sure to try the local beverage.
Although located in the backcountry, the town is quite lively and comfortable. But if you’re going for a serene, quiet mountain village, you’ll be disappointed to hear the noise of countless motorcycles and cars. Still, Jarabacoa is a fabulous place with many adventures waiting for you.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 70,000 people
- GDP: $6,722 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 13 Mbps
- Best wireless: Orange
- Tipping: In the Dominican Republic, it is customary to leave a 10% if you enjoyed your services. Some restaurants will add 10% gratuity to your bill, so make sure you look at your check before leaving extra. You will know if it has been added if you see propino incluido or simply servis on the check.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best short-haul air carrier: Copa
- Best intl air carrier: Delta
- Monthly costs for expat: $1050
- Monthly costs for family: $2100
- Monthly costs for local: $600
- Meal: $4.5
- Small Cola: $0.8
- Beer 1 Pint: $2.5
- Coffee: $1.5
View Larger Map