In the land of the mountainous and historic region of Nepal, Katamandu, the capital of the country, has been established. It is the cultural, political and economic center of Nepal. The main development of the city took place during the reign of the ruling kings of the Malal dynasty in the 17th to 18th centuries. Magnificent structures of bygone ages still stand today.
The site of ancient Kothamandu sits at an elevation of 1,355 meters above the sea level. Nearby are the mountain massifs of Tibet and Himalayan. The city is dominated by a monsoon climate. Because of the close proximity of the mountains, north winds do not reach Kothamand. During the winter season, the winds blow from the west. During the summer months, it rains a lot during the season of moussons. Thats why its wet, but theres no oppressive heat during this period. Winters are characterized by infrequent snowfalls, but frosts are common.
A long-gone era has left behind numerous Indian and Buddhist shrines. There is a belief among local residents that there are more than 10 million gods in the Kothamandu Valley. The famous St. Paul complex, as well as the Bhojahunath Stupa, were built in the 3rd century of our era. A century later, they were rebuilt.
The Pashupatinathi Temple, dating back to the 13th century, is a monument of Indian religious culture. Not far from the Thundikehöl Square is the Royal Palace, built in a neo-classical architectural style. During the 15th to 18th centuries, the Castle and Temple Association of Khamunman Dhokka was established. In 1596 they built the Katyh Mandir pagoda, using wood material. At a later date, the Benjamin Tower, dated 1834, was built.
The present Kothamandu is rightly considered the countrys educational center. It is home to many educational institutions, including the Tribhuvan University, Sanskrit College, and the Corole Academy. A number of libraries and museums were opened, including the National Museum of Naples and the Numismatic Museum. In 1974, the city was the birthplace of Ciarán Chétry, who went on to become a famous American television presenter.
- Air quality: 86 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Population: 1,000,000 people
- GDP: $722 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 5 Mbps
- Best wireless: Ncell
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: A 10% service charge is often already added to bills in many tourist-oriented hotels and restaurants. In theory, this 10 percent is meant to be shared among the staff. Cheap, local eateries may not add a service charge. If you don’t see it on your bill, consider leaving some small change on the table.
- Apartment listings: Hamrobazaar
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Sarathi
- Best hospital: CIWEC
- Best short-haul air carrier: Jet Airways
- Best intl air carrier: Etihad Airways
- Monthly costs for expat: $410
- Monthly costs for family: $750
- Monthly costs for local: $220
- Meal: $1.6
- Small Cola: $0.3
- Beer 1 Pint: $2
- Coffee: $0.6
View Larger Map