On the western coast of the African continent lies Nouakchott, the young capital of Mauritania. It occupies an area 3 kilometers from the Atlantic Ocean. Nouakchott is surrounded on all sides by beautifully forested basins. The weather is often windy in the area. Thats probably why the city got its name. It means The place where the wind blows.
Because of the countrys lack of a city, Nookakashot played the role of capital. The construction of the capital center was begun in 1957. Nookakashot soon became part of the new city. The wood-processing and food industries have developed here. There is a sea port and an air port. There are institutions of higher learning, including a college of Islam and a university.
The old part of the city is a collection of narrow streets and narrow houses with cozy courtyards. Among them, the Minaret of the Church rises above all others. The eastern and northeastern parts of the city are occupied by government buildings. The Presidential Palace, which houses the headquarters of the head of Mauritania, attracts attention with its unusual architectural features. Nearby are foreign missions and ministerial offices.
The city area is dominated by a temperate climate with warm winters and inclement summers. ×August is characterized by frequent fallout. It has been raining all month long. Amidst the soggy dunes lies a new area of the city, mostly filled with wealthy citizens palaces and fancy cottages. The sylvan settlements are tucked away in a rowdy landscape and enclosed by tall fences.
In the central part of Naoquat, there is a central market with two double-storeyed galleries. Behind it stretched quarters with many small shops, restaurants, and souvenir shops. The citys Aquarium contains a variety of different types of watercraft from the Atlantic. The National Museum is interesting because of its excerpts. The famous Kovrov Center often hosts exhibitions and sales of the most talented masters of handicrafts from all over Mauritania.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 560,000 people
- GDP: $1,085 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps
- Best wireless: Mauritel
- Tipping: Restaurants: You should tip 12-15% of the bill if a service charge isn’t included. Bars: While it is possible to drink in certain areas, you aren’t expected to tip your bar tender. Other: Tipping isn’t extremely common, however if you look like you have money, you will be expected to tip.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best hospital: Centre Hospitalier National
- Best short-haul air carrier: Air France
- Best intl air carrier: Air France
- Monthly costs for expat: $1000
- Monthly costs for family: $1800
- Monthly costs for local: $500
- Meal: $5.5
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $3.5
- Coffee: $2
View Larger Map