The resort town of Puerto Viejo is located on the southern shores of the Caribbean Sea in Costa Rica not far from the city of Limón, which is a favorite place for fans of surfing, dreaming to conquer the famous waves of “salsa brava” and the alternative budget youth.
The town has all the necessary conditions for entertainment and recreation, there are many restaurants, bars and discos, and souvenir stores. The town boasts a colorful local population of Jamaicans and natives of other Caribbean islands, who are known for their cheerful disposition, kindness and hospitality. Moreover, most of the townspeople are young people and many of them even speak fluent English.
You should not go here if you are looking for beaches with developed infrastructure or luxury hotels with an all-inclusive concept. This resort town is dominated by guest houses and small B&Bs, and on the beach, at most a hammock and no internet.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 10,000 people
- GDP: $11,825 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 8 Mbps
- Best wireless: Kolbi
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: Restaurant bills normally include service but it’s normal to leave an extra 5-10% for really good service. Bartenders/Cocktail waitresses 5-15%. Tour guides $2-5 per guest when in a larger group, $5-10 per guest in a smaller group. Shuttle Drivers $2-5 per passenger for assisting with luggage or providing interesting commentary during the drive. Housekeeping $5-10 per night for a hotel or lodge room and double it for kitchens or extra bedrooms (envelopes are usually provided).
- Apartment listings: Encuentra24
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coworking space: Loop
- Best hospital: Hone Creek Clinic
- Best short-haul air carrier: Nature Air
- Best intl air carrier: Nature Air
- Monthly costs for expat: $1300
- Monthly costs for family: $2500
- Monthly costs for local: $700
- Meal: $6.5
- Small Cola: $0.8
- Beer 1 Pint: $3.5
- Coffee: $2.5
View Larger Map