Turin – a large city, located in the northwest of Italy, with the fourth highest number of inhabitants in the country. For centuries, the citys geographic location has helped it grow. Today, Turin is one of the most important industrial centers in Italy and one of the largest transport corners in the country. The leading position is occupied by heavy industry, especially the companies of the Fiat Group, which employs half of all the workers in this sector in Turin. The old Roman settlement, whose features are still visible in the city today, was the basis of the urban design and layout of Tórrhín.
The symbol of Turin is the Mole Antonioliana – the Tower of Pain, which currently houses the Museum of Cinema. Its viewing platform offers a magnificent view of the city from a height of 163 meters.
In the most central square of the city, the Piazza Castello, the palace of the ‐ the Palazzo Madama. Once a medieval castle, it was rebuilt and enlarged in the 18th century, and its new face was decorated with a grand facade with a palazzada with balustrade. The Palace now houses the Museum of Artistic Art.
Even more remarkable is the Palazzo Reale, the former seat of the kings that served as such from the 17th century until the countrys reunification. The palace has preserved many of its furnishings beautifully, but of particular interest are the Throne Room, the Chinese Cabinet, and the Scissor Ladder, created in the 18th century.
The site of the memorial is the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, in the chapel of which is the Basilica of Turin, said to contain the pall bearing the body of the Lord who was said to have taken away the body of Christ.
A little less interesting is the castle of Valentino, situated on the banks of the River Po, in the heart of Taurine. Built in the 13th century as a defense wall, the castle was rebuilt in the 17th century under the rule of Marie Brittany of France. The castles unusual form – a cradle-like castle with a courtyard, a marble floor, and four towers, attracts many visitors. The castle is now used to host all kinds of exhibitions.
Another famous feature of Turin is the Pateline Gate. It is a gate built by the Romans in the 1st century before our time. Later, in the Middle Ages, two polygonal towers were added.
Its also worth seeing the Chapel of St. George, built in the 18th century by King Vitero Amedeo II as a tribute to the Virgin Mary for her help in defeating the French troops who sacked the city. The church stands at the top of Turin, rising on a single hill that provides a magnificent view of the city and the surrounding Alps.
It is a must to see Palazzo Carignano, built in the 17th century by the famous architect, monk and architect Gariño Gariña, who is rightly considered the most beautiful of Italys city palaces.
A short distance from Turin, the castle of Castelo Cancuniggi was the summer seat of the Savaevia royal dynasty for more than a century.
It is also worth visiting the out-of-town homeland of the Sava nobility – Stupinigi, only about ten kilometers from Turin.
Turin – Its a very quiet and beautiful city, and its impossible to see all the great monuments of its ancestors in a single day, but its worth taking the time to see the great monuments of history and archaeology that are left over from its ancestors.
- Air quality: 53 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 900,000 people
- Population density: busy: 12x12m 144m per person
- GDP: $31,279 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 19 Mbps
- Best wireless: Vodafone
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: You are not expected to tip restaurants in Italy. A service charge is sometimes added to the bill, ranging from 1 to 3 Euros, or 10% – 15%. This charge must be indicated on the menu. Some may also add an extra charge for the diner ware and extras (tablecloth, silverware, plates, bread, etc.), this is normal.
- Apartment listings: Wimdu
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Caffe Fiorio
- Best coffee: Lavazza
- Best taxi: MyTaxi
- Best coworking space: Talent Garden
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best hospital: Wellbetour
- Best short-haul air carrier: Ryanair
- Best intl air carrier: Alitalia
- Monthly costs for expat: $2100
- Monthly costs for family: $4200
- Monthly costs for local: $1200
- Meal: $20
- Small Cola: $3.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $8
- Coffee: $1.8
View Larger Map