In the north-eastern part of Iran is Mashhad, the main city of the province of Khorasan-Razavi. It is the main site of the Gara-Dagh and the Khazar-Darre. Mashhad has a well-developed transport infrastructure – there is a railroad, a railway station, and an international air port. About 900 kilometers from the city is Tehran, the capital of Iran.
Moscow has been known since ancient times as the cultural, religious and political center of the country. At one time the town was a small village called Sanabad. Next to it was the town of Tus, which had fallen into decay over time. Consequently, Sanaabad grew and became Mashhad. The first documentary evidence of the existence of the city under this name dates back 10 centuries. ×A few years later, the Arabian traveler and scholar Ibn Battutta wrote about Mashhad.
Moshhad today is known as the sacred city of the Shrine, visited by millions of pilgrims every year. It is also home to the famous Imam Reza mausoleum. The monumental complex occupies the central part of the square and is a chapel with the tomb of Imam Reza located in its room.
With a library, museum, shrines of imams, a school of history, and another 15th-century chapel, Hovorovshadah, are located around the religious building. For the comfortable stay of the many privileged patients there is a building for them to live in. The famous mausoleum, begun in the 9th century, was demolished at the end of the 10th century. But in the beginning of the 11th century they started to restore it. The structure has been reconstructed and improved over the years.
The site of the burial of the leader of the Safavid dynasty is the site of the mausoleum of Nadir Shah. During his reign, Mashhad was the capital of the country. Here the ruler was preparing his troops to march on India. Nearby the mausoleum are the sculptural tombs of the soldiers. Nearby are museum and library buildings. Parks are a popular place for citizens to enjoy themselves. In one of them, Kouhoustany Park- eh-Hadji has a park, and in the other, Melletta, there is a sightseeing wheel, which is the largest in Iran.
- Air quality: 57 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 3,000,000 people
- GDP: $5,299 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 4 Mbps
- Best wireless: IranCell
- Tipping: In Iran, as in most of the civilised world outside the US, you should tip as you see fit for the services that you receive. In other words, tip if you want to show appreciation for unusually good service or if you love the people who are providing that service, and don’t tip if you don’t.
- Apartment listings: Delta Home
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Snapp
- Best short-haul air carrier: Iran Air
- Best intl air carrier: Iran Air
- Monthly costs for expat: $900
- Monthly costs for family: $2000
- Monthly costs for local: $550
- Meal: $3.5
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $3.5
- Coffee: $1.8
View Larger Map