The city of Banjańska is in the center of Blagojovgrad in the southwest of Bulgaria at the foot of the Pyrenees Mountains. On its territory there is a railway station. It is known as a ski resort with a unique climate that keeps the snow on the slopes for a long season from December through April.
The locations were already inhabited in the late Roman Empire, as archaeological evidence attests. It is known that in 1868, the first Protestant community appeared in Banco.
Before 1912, the city was part of the Ottoman Empire. In spite of this, the sultan granted him autonomy in administration, though limited. Thus, all decisions were made by the council of elders. But at the same time, the judicial power was vested in the judge, whose office was in Balkan. He was the first candidate (the head of the administration), Asen Òîäóv. Nowadays, Bansko is known as the center of winter sports. Snowboarding and skiing are developing here.
All existing ski trails are located south of the city limits, on the slopes of the Tadjorka Mountain. They are of varying degrees of difficulty, and have a length of 75 kilometers. The resort is attractive to skiers, cross-country skiers and middle-handed skiers.
In 2003, a ski lift was added to bring skiers to the ski area. There is also a professionally equipped snowboard park and sunpark. In winter, the resort hosts the World Cup Alpine Skiing events.
In summer, too, the city is popular with tourists. During the warm season, it attracts tourism enthusiasts who travel through the natural slopes of the Pyrenees Mountains. In addition, there is also mountain biking – mountain biking.
Many citizens are interested in the services – the many restaurants, bars, coffee shops, hotels and mini-hotels. Along the narrow streets, youll find houses built in the 17th and 18th centuries. In the central part of Banana, the Holy Trinity Church rises with a tall bell tower.
The city is famous for its local minerals springs. They are both within and outside the community. There is an archaeological museum and a museum house of the poet Nikolai Václovov – a native of Bánské. Traditionally, a jazz festival is held during the summer season with a large number of participants and spectators.
- Air quality: 24 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 8,600 people
- GDP: $7,465 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 26 Mbps
- Best wireless: Vivacom
- Tipping: Tipping is standard practice in Bulgaria and travellers should aim to tip around 10% of the total bill in a restaurant, provided the service has been up to scratch. Hotel staff are usually left around USD $1 per night for housekeeping and the same for the porters per bag.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Coworking Bansko
- Best taxi: TaxiMe
- Best coworking space: Coworking Bansko
- Online electronics shop: Emag
- Best hospital: Hospital Razlog
- Best short-haul air carrier: Transavia
- Best intl air carrier: Transavia
- Monthly costs for expat: $1150
- Monthly costs for family: $1350
- Monthly costs for local: $390
- Meal: $5
- Small Cola: $0.9
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.2
- Coffee: $1.2
View Larger Map