× Cheltenham — a city and town in the province of Gloucestershire, on the edge of the Catóscoles. It is located in the vicinity of Cirencester and Höstersburg. It is crossed by a small river, the Cult, which sometimes emerges from its banks and in some places floods the streets. The resort town is known by its motto, Salubritas and Eruditio.
The town of Cheltenham was founded as a small village that grew over time to the size of a small town. In 1226 it was granted trading privileges, which enabled it to develop its own market. ×Five years later, its economic direction changed as its surroundings became a popular mineral water source.
Cholumbia began to develop as a resort in 1716, becoming a popular health resort over time. From 1815 onward, it began to host horse races, which has attracted more and more tourists. Interesting facts about the lives and works of famous people can be found in the Museum and Art Gallery. For example, the exhibit & ‗Husted Museum includes the personal belongings of the composer. She also shows an old interior – a childs room from the Edwardian period, a Regency-era hotel, a kitchen, and a Victorian-inspired furnishings room.
Huge acreage is occupied by the Charlotte Park and an adjoining mansion dating back to the 13th century. It has undergone several renovations since then, and its original appearance has changed. It is now a classy 18th-century building.
The city has had memorial anniversary displays since 1982. The houses where the celebrities lived were marked with blue saddles. The greens were used to mark archaeological monuments, as well as houses associated with historical events.
A long tradition in the city has been to hold literary, music, and science festivals every year. They invite people not only from England, but also from many other countries. The festivals take place in various venues around the city, including theaters, the city hall, and the oldest resort complex. The participants of the art festival are mostly people from Great Britain. The number usually exceeds 300 people. This musical event is considered to be the oldest musical event on the subject of literature in England. The first such festival was held in 1926.
The Cheltenham Film Festival is the «House of National Jumps; held throughout Great Britain. The competitions are held during the cold season from October to April. In mid-March, the Gold Cup is held in mid-March. ×It often coincides with St. Patricks Day.
The oldest school in the city is the Peyte School, founded in 1574. The present college opened in the first half of the 19th century. In 1968, it was the set for the movie If. Also, the school hosts the Criterion Festival every year. The first time it was held here was in 1872.
Brightman and founding member of The Rolling Stones, Brian Jones, was born in Cheltenham.
- Air quality: 39 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 120,000 people
- GDP: $40,249 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 27 Mbps
- Best wireless: EE
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: At restaurants in the UK a tip of around 10% is expected if you order at your table. A ‘service charge’ or ‘optional charge’ may be included so check your bill. If there is a service charge, don’t tip extra. If there is a service charge you may like to ensure that it goes to the waiter or waitress.
- Apartment listings: Zoopla
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: EasyJet
- Best intl air carrier: British Airways
- Monthly costs for expat: $2700
- Monthly costs for family: $6200
- Monthly costs for local: $1800
- Meal: $17
- Small Cola: $1.4
- Beer 1 Pint: $5.5
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map