Ceccester – an English town in Devonshire County. It lies on the banks of the River Eux, in a picturesque area about five kilometers south of La Mancha. In the old part of the city, ancient architectural monuments were carefully preserved by the Anglicans. The most notable feature is the cathedral, built in 1050. It is one of the most beautiful architectural structures in England. The cathedral was originally designed in Norman style, but was later remodeled and rebuilt in a modern style. The western stone facade of the stone building has a carved image of kings. The cathedral has the most famous organ in the country. It is also home to a library with a treasured collection of rare works of literature. In the cathedral, you can see a beautiful sculpture by Galerie Ménérretel. It consists of angels playing musical instruments. In our days, there is a creek in front of the cathedral, where residents and tourists hold picnics. In the past, for several hundred years, the site has been a burial ground. There are many enigmatic stories about this cemetery, called Cathedral Green, in which the characters of the people buried there play out.
On the central street of this quintessentially English town, a midcentury Rathaus, which still hosts meetings of the Exeter Council. The main shopping street is High Street. It has retained that role since ancient times, when it was the center of various urban crafts. Today it is home to modern modern buildings of world-class brands.
In the first quarter of the 20th century, a university college was built in Exeter. Today it is called the University of Excellence.
In the 18th century, it was an industrial city; today it is more likely to be a commercial one. From La Manche, the river carries huge ships into the city. Farm machinery factories remained and continue to operate in Exeter. The city is also famous for its crooks and gloves.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 130,000 people
- GDP: $40,249 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 29 Mbps
- Best wireless: Vodafone
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: At restaurants in the UK a tip of around 10% is expected if you order at your table. A ‘service charge’ or ‘optional charge’ may be included so check your bill. If there is a service charge, don’t tip extra. If there is a service charge you may like to ensure that it goes to the waiter or waitress.
- Apartment listings: Rightmove
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Generator Hub
- Best coffee: Lamb & Flag
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best hospital: Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation
- Best short-haul air carrier: EasyJet
- Best intl air carrier: British Airways
- Monthly costs for expat: $2500
- Monthly costs for family: $5500
- Monthly costs for local: $1600
- Meal: $17
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $5
- Coffee: $3
View Larger Map