Ikike, a seaport, is located in the region of Tarapaca, which occupies the area between the Chilean-Belizean border and the Pacific Ocean coast. Like many cities in the region, it was founded by Spanish colonists during the period when the land was being settled. Until 1879, the area where the city was located was part of Pereux. But after the termination of the Tikhiokanakan, the region of Tikka became all of its localities in the Chile region, becoming a new administrative unit. Ikikeka was twice affected by natural disasters in the 19th century. First in 1868, then in 1877, there were several disruptions that destroyed many of the buildings.
The modern city is known as a major seaport for the transport of salt, sulfur, sulfuric acid, iodine and nitrates produced and extracted in the region. A railway line was at one time brought to the port for convenient delivery of products to its facilities. The city also has industrial plants that specialize in oil refining, marine containerization, cement production, and ship construction.
- Air quality: 63 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 200,000 people
- GDP: $13,794 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 18 Mbps
- Best wireless: Movistar
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: Most bills have the total and below it a suggested 10% and a new total including this amount. If paying by card they ask if you wish to include the total plus the 10%. They are not allowed, by law, to give you a bill with the 10% already included in the total.
- Apartment listings: AirBnb
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best hospital: Hospital Dr E Torres G Hospital de Iquique
- Best intl air carrier: KLM
- Monthly costs for expat: $950
- Monthly costs for family: $2200
- Monthly costs for local: $600
- Meal: $5
- Small Cola: $1.4
- Beer 1 Pint: $3.5
- Coffee: $2.5
View Larger Map