On the vast coastline of the Seykhan River lies the Turkish city of Adana, the capital of the region with the same name. Fifty kilometers away is the seashore. The ancient city has a long history, dating back 6,000 years ago.
Andana is the oldest village in Anatolia and is rich in Antique monuments. The city was the center of successful trade and commerce during the Roman period in the 1st century before Christ. In spite of frequent changes of power, Andan remained a center of trade and commerce throughout its existence.
Now the city, famous for its many centuries of history and its ancient past, is a modern industrial center with a strong textile industry and gold trading. Historically, the mild climate, fertile land and close proximity to the river water favored light industry.
The chemical, food, footwear and cement industries developed over time. ×The railroad line crosses the citys territory. Lines of different directions cross here.
Andana has a rich cultural life. It has long been a tradition to hold world-class celebrations, film festivals, concerts and theatrical productions at its concert halls.
High-quality, comfortable hotels have been created for the citys many guests who frequent the various events in the hospitable city. Local restaurants are famous for their cuisine. The main dish here is adana kabab, and the main drink is salagam. Together, they create a culinary masterpiece.
A particular favorite is the bazaar, where you can buy rugs made by local artisans. The beauty of the merchandise appeals to fans of couponing. A great number and variety of items are available in leather, leather, textile and various furnishings. The citys museums, particularly the Archaeological and Ethnographic Museums, offer a fascinating opportunity to explore more of Adanas past and present.
- Air quality: 60 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 1,700,000 people
- GDP: $10,863 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 12 Mbps
- Best wireless: TurkCell
- Pay without cash:
- Tipping: In Turkey tipping is customary between 5% and 10%, depending on service. Don’t tip if you receive bad service. Tips must be in cash, preferably in Turkish Lira, and be given directly to the waiter. If you dine in luxury you should tip between 10% and 15%.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Emin Akademie
- Online electronics shop: Hepsiburada
- Best hospital: Baskent University Adana Medical and Research Center
- Best short-haul air carrier: Turkish Airlines
- Best intl air carrier: Turkish Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $340
- Monthly costs for family: $550
- Monthly costs for local: $160
- Meal: $1.3
- Small Cola: $0.2
- Beer 1 Pint: $0.9
- Coffee: $1
View Larger Map