Puerto Escondido is a city in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico. It is located on the Pacific coast between the cities of Santa Maria Huatulco and Acapulco, 800 km south of the Mexican capital and 290 km from the state capital Oaxaca de Juárez.
The rate of population growth is quite high due to the inclusion of nearby communities and the high migration of foreigners and residents from other cities.
The social composition of Puerto Escondido is quite diverse, but we can note the division of the city into 2 parts: the affluent respectable center and the rather poor coastal suburbs.
The ethnic composition of the population is diverse and is represented by different races as well as a mixture of them. The following ethnic groups can be distinguished:
Indigenous populations (coastal inhabitants)
Mexican mestizos (Celes mestizos)
The main language is Spanish, but English and French are also used in the city center and for the convenience of tourists, as well as some other languages.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 45,000 people
- GDP: $8,444 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 24 Mbps
- Best wireless: Movistar
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: Service is not included in all restaurants (though this may vary by location or for a larger group), so it is customary to tip 10 to 20 percent of the total bill. Bartender: It’s acceptable to tip 10 to 20 pesos per drink or 10 to 15 percent of the total bill.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Losodeli
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Linio
- Best hospital: Hospital ngel del Mar
- Best short-haul air carrier: InterJet
- Best intl air carrier: InterJet
- Monthly costs for expat: $1000
- Monthly costs for family: $2000
- Monthly costs for local: $600
- Meal: $6
- Small Cola: $0.7
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.7
- Coffee: $1.7
View Larger Map