Ayaecio – a resort town near a single cove at the confluence of the River Gravena. It is the administrative center of the Department of the South Cork.
The earliest records of the city date back to the ancient times when there was a town of Ajax, although there is no exact date of its founding. It was located to the north of the present city. AYACCHO – this is the transformed name of the ancient village of AYAKS, named after the ancient hero Illyadas. The city is mentioned in the chronicles of the 6th century, but it was founded by the Genoese in 1492, and the local population was forbidden to settle there. It existed as a fortified tribe of Genoa, and was occasionally attacked by the French, who wished to control the island. Finally, the island became part of the French Empire in 1768.
The citys rhythm is defined by the seasonal holiday cycle. Local people live off tourism, as well as fishing, wine farming, olive oil production, cottage industry and livestock farming.
Yayacho visitors are attracted not only by its pleasant Mediterranean climate and quiet, verdant atmosphere. Ajacio is the birthplace of Napoleon I Bonaparte. The future emperor of France spent the first nine years of his life on the island, but he is still remembered by local people as a tourist attraction. Local shops are full of pictures of Napoleon, and many of the streets (as well as the wine) bear his name or the names of personalities who are related to and close to Bonaparte.
Achitectural features of Ayatollah are represented by a Genoese crenellated complex of towers (15th century), the Cathedral of the Assumption of Our Lady (1577-93), where Napoleon was christened, and the Palace of the Grand Duke of Fèche, which houses a library and a museum. A separate space is reserved for the Bonnaparte House Museum, where the little Bonnaparte liked to sit. There is also a monument to the taking of Moscow.
Its a good place to forget about the developed infrastructure of Ajaxo. Beaches, hotels, restaurants, cafes, quaint Italian cuisine and neighborhood lanjos also support the citys tourism status.
- Air quality: 40 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 66,000 people
- GDP: $36,826 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 30 Mbps
- Best wireless: TIM
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: You can leave around 5-10 percent if you are very happy with your meal. This will be more than appreciated. Essentially tipping in France is more of a gesture, and less of an obligation. So, if you receive exemplary service then it is nice to leave a larger tip to demonstrate your appreciation.
- Apartment listings: AirBnb
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: RyanAir
- Best intl air carrier: Air France
- Monthly costs for expat: $2900
- Monthly costs for family: $5100
- Monthly costs for local: $1450
- Meal: $27
- Small Cola: $3.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $7.5
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map