Avignon is literally drowning in the fields and groves of olive trees that surround the city. The city walls are 8 meters high, and even today they surround the old city center, which can only be accessed through seven gates in a solid wall. All gates are still guarded by guard towers. The central part of the old Avignon is the Place de lOrloge. In the past, forums were held on this square. The most popular tourist attraction is the watch tower, which is located on the square. Every hour the clock chimes and a number of characters emerge from a box. Nearby the clock tower is a carousel.
The most beautiful building in Avignon is the Palace of the Pope. The white walls of the palace have a powerful effect on anyone. Because it is the largest building in Europe, and it is made in the most beautiful style. The palace covers an area of 1.5 sq. km. Every one of the seven dads who have visited the property has had the palace to their liking.
About 25,000 people come to Avignon every year for the annual theatrical festival. During this period, the city becomes one enormous theatrical stage, with many performing groups calling the audience to see their performances. During this period, performances in many of the worlds languages can be seen all along the River Seaside. And the theatrical performances are in many different genres. The tradition of the theatrical festival was established in 1947 by the Jean Villiard group, which performed in the square outside the Palace of Paris. About 130,000 tickets are sold during the festival. And thats despite the fact that hundreds of performances can be seen for free.
Its interesting that there hasnt been a theater in Avignon in the ΧVΙΙΙ century. Only in 1734 was the Comedy Theater built on Crayon Square. The Theater of the City on Orloj Square is most popular these days. Its facade is adorned with an image of Apollonne and monuments to the French playwrights Cornelius and Mollier. And the St. Clair Monastery is home to the Théâtre de Galais. It is said to be the place where Peter is believed to have seen Laura.
But Avignon deserves to be visited more than just during the theatrical season. Because then one can look out on the beautiful streets of the city in peace. The monumental ancient castle, which was the dads birthplace, and the ancient walls surrounding the center of the city give Avivianon a special atmosphere.
- Air quality: 36 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 89,000 people
- GDP: $36,826 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 42 Mbps
- Best wireless: Orange
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: You can leave around 5-10 percent if you are very happy with your meal. This will be more than appreciated. Essentially tipping in France is more of a gesture, and less of an obligation. So, if you receive exemplary service then it is nice to leave a larger tip to demonstrate your appreciation.
- Apartment listings: AirBnb
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: RyanAir
- Best intl air carrier: Air France
- Monthly costs for expat: $2100
- Monthly costs for family: $3900
- Monthly costs for local: $1100
- Meal: $15
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $2.5
View Larger Map