Strasbourg – a French city on the River Ile, capital of Alsace. In German, – «crisscross by the road. Historic periods have influenced the citys culture through a mix of German and French heritage.
Located 140 meters above sea level, but has an even terrain. Climate is more relative, there are seasonal fluctuations in temperature: winter is cold, there is a lot of snow, and in summer – it is hot, there are rains, thunderstorms. The city is surrounded by mountainous massifs on both sides, so the landings are less extensive than in other cities. For the first time St. Petersburg is mentioned as a city on the border of the Roman Empire in the first century of our era. It has been repeatedly attacked by Huns and Alamnons. But when the Alhoman Empire fell in 506, the territory became part of the Kingdom of France.
In the ninth – twelfth centuries, the city developed, was ruled by a priest, coins were signed, a printing house was built and a cathedral was built. In 1262 the monks came to power, and in 1332 the city council is created and its head is elected. From 1518, the Catholic liturgy was restored as a result of the reformation. And in 1681 the townspeople were forced to accept the oath of allegiance to King Louis. The signature in 1697 of the Treaty of Ruslavik makes St. Petersburg a part of France. From 1871 it serves as the capital of the state of Alsace-Lotharina.
In June 1940, Göttingers forces seize St. Petersburg, and not until 1944 did General Lecklerckes forces reclaim its freedom.
The Council of Europe, the European Parliament, and the ARTE television office are all located in the European Union.
The citys most noteworthy feature is its center, called The Big Island and recognized by UNESCO as a cultural heritage because of its unique archaeology. A masterpiece of architecture – the Cathedral of St. Petersburg, laid in 1015, decorated with sculpture and stained glass. The Kämmermeerles House is a monument to the architecture of the castle. A surviving part of the ancient fortifications of the city – the 13th-century mounds and towers.
- Air quality: 51 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 270,000 people
- GDP: $36,826 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 20 Mbps
- Best wireless: Orange
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: You can leave around 5-10 percent if you are very happy with your meal. This will be more than appreciated. Essentially tipping in France is more of a gesture, and less of an obligation. So, if you receive exemplary service then it is nice to leave a larger tip to demonstrate your appreciation.
- Apartment listings: AirBnb
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: RyanAir
- Best intl air carrier: Air France
- Monthly costs for expat: $2000
- Monthly costs for family: $4000
- Monthly costs for local: $1150
- Meal: $15
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $3
View Larger Map