Pai is a small, very quaint town in the province of Mae Hon Song in Northern Thailand. From Chiang Mai it is on highway 1095, about 130 km. The route is very mountainous, they say there are 762 curves.
How to get to Pai:
1) By rented car (like we did)
2) By rented bike from Chiang Mai – I don’t know how people drive 130 km in such a serpentine direction with a bike
3) By bus or shuttle from the bus station in Chiang Mai for 150 baht ($ 5) – about 3-4 hours drive
4) By plane – there is a small airport in Pai. It is served by Kan Air
Pai is located not far from the Thai border with Burma. The town was founded by Burmese refugees who settled here about 200 years ago.
Pai is located near the river with the same name in a valley of beautiful mountains. The town is famous for its laid-back atmosphere, cheap hostels, and delicious and inexpensive food. Hippies and Rastamans, freelance artists, and other creative types, potheads, and backpackers from around the world love Pye. Yogis and raw-monkeys and other interesting personalities live here, too. In general, in this nice, hearty town there is a place for everyone, just like in Pangan, where the yogis peacefully coexist with party-goers and party-goers.
- Air quality: 24 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 2,300 people
- GDP: $5,911 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 21 Mbps
- Best wireless: AIS
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: Tipping is NOT customary in Thailand, there is absolutely NO mandatory requirement to tip anyone, but small gratuities for great service are very much appreciated.
- Apartment listings:
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Grab
- Best coworking space: All About Coffee
- Online electronics shop: Lazada
- Best short-haul air carrier: Air Asia
- Best intl air carrier: Air Asia
- Monthly costs for expat: $650
- Monthly costs for family: $1500
- Monthly costs for local: $430
- Meal: $1.3
- Small Cola: $0.3
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.6
- Coffee: $1.6
View Larger Map