Pampolona – the oldest and largest city of Nauru, as well as its capital. It is located in the Pyrénénées Mountains region.
The origins of the city in Pamplona date back to 76 A.D. At that time there was a Wasconean village. The city of Rome was named Pomello after its founder – Commander Gennius Pompey Magna. From the 5th century onwards, a tumultuous and unstable period began, when Pamplona was repeatedly conquered by the conquerors. The West, the Moorish, the French, and occasionally the autonomous kingdom of Návarra have all ruled there for a short time. For the territory of Návárra, where Pamplona was an economic and cultural center, it was characterized by inter-ethnic rivalries that greatly affected the city. As a result of dynastic marriages, Pamplona passed to Castile in 1512.
Pamplonne owes its popularity among tourists to the famed papal route of «The Way of Saint Anthony» and the writer Ernest Hemingway, who visited the city in 1923 and visited it in his novel And the Sun Is Rising. In his literary work, he wrote about the centuries-old tradition of the Fèisée, or San Fármín. Held for a week in July, this festival attracts 3 million tourists. It attracts, first of all, the most powerful and powerful; its a behemoth of a dozen burly bulls. There is even a memorial to this event. In addition to the ceremonial event, a memorial has been erected for the entire week.
Cultural art is represented by the Cathedral (1387-1525), St. Nicholas Church (1231) on the site of the church, and the Church of St. Saturnin (13th century), the citys patron saint. The peculiarities are the monumental fortress of the Pomponne (16th century), the annex of the central square of the city – The Plaça della Cascellia, which has been formed since the 13th century, the Museum of the Pampilion at the Hospital of Our Lady of Charity (16th century).
Display in Pamplona can be enjoyed at the second most popular place in Pálos del Toros – the bullring, which is also a venue for Christmas fairs, rock concerts and city events. The Planetarium (200 thousand visitors every year) and the River Park are popular.
- Air quality: 14 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 200,000 people
- GDP: $26,695 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 31 Mbps
- Best wireless: Movistar
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: Tipping in Spain may not be considered customary, but there are certain places when it’s acceptable to leave a few coins. A good rule of thumb is to skip the tip at cheaper restaurants and leave up to 10 percent when service exceeds expectations in upscale dining establishments.
- Apartment listings: Casa Mundo
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: RyanAir
- Best intl air carrier: Iberia
- Monthly costs for expat: $1900
- Monthly costs for family: $3200
- Monthly costs for local: $900
- Meal: $13
- Small Cola: $2
- Beer 1 Pint: $2.5
- Coffee: $1.9
View Larger Map