In the north of Colombia, on the Caribbean Sea, the port city of Santo Marta is located. It is the center of the Department of Magadan. The city lies 964 kilometers north of Boga. Nearby the city are the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The city of Santa Marta was founded in 1525. After the river Maundade was reached, the city of Santo Marta became a river port. The fact that in 1961, a railway track was laid from Boga to Santa Marta has greatly contributed to the growth and development of the city. Santa Marta developed construction, textile, textile, and food industries. ×Oil, coffee, bananas, meat, leather are transported through the sea port. There is an air port, a technical university.
Tourists are interested in the Archaeological Museum of Tairon, the Santa Monument of Santo Domingo, the Museum of the National Hero S. Bollywood. The National Heros Museum in San Pedro Ajanrino, the cathedral where the tomb of the 1830 S. Bolivar is located, the ports of San Juan, San Fernando, San Van Vicente, and the National Park of Tairon. The beautiful beaches of the resort area are also an attraction.
- Air quality: 101 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 380,000 people
- GDP: $5,806 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V60Hz
- Internet: 9 Mbps
- Best wireless: Tigo
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: On most restaurant bills in Colombia, there is a 10% voluntary (propina voluntaria). While you are not required to pay it, nearly everybody does. The staff members typically share the tip money. If you had exceptional service, you can decide to leave an extra tip in cash.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Tappsi
- Online electronics shop: Falabella
- Best hospital: Instituto del Corazn de Santa Marta
- Best short-haul air carrier: Copa Airlines
- Best intl air carrier: Avianca
- Monthly costs for expat: $700
- Monthly costs for family: $1200
- Monthly costs for local: $340
- Meal: $7
- Small Cola: $0.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.1
- Coffee: $1.1
View Larger Map