The city of Kota Kinnabalu, located in the northwest of the island of Orneo (Kalimantan) on the coast of the South China Sea, is the capital of the state of Sabah. The six islands along the length of the city are small. The largest of them, the island of Gaia, is the site of the first Brittany colony in the area.
Cota Cinnabale was founded in 1882. Until 1968, the village was called Jesselton. In 2000 it became a city. The present name of Kota Kinajala was given to the city by the nearby Mount Kinajala. Nearby is a national park stretching 90 kilometers. There are plenty of hiking trails: you can hike through jungles of dungeons, you can hike to waterfalls, and you can hike to natural springs. Cat Cinnabale – a favorite tourist destination. Developing at a rapid pace, the city has become an important industrial center of Malaysia. Agriculture, forestry and processing industries also play an important role here.
In Kota Kinnabale, tourists will find it fascinating to walk along the central waterfront, as well as to visit the market where there are many market stalls with various souvenirs.
- Air quality: 28 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 210,000 people
- GDP: $9,508 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 20 Mbps
- Best wireless: Hotlink
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: In Malaysia, people don’t normally practise tipping. Meaning, you don’t have to tip unless stated otherwise. Of course, it is not wrong to give a tip, anyone will be more than happy to receive it. If you go to a restaurant or something like that, there will be a service charge of 10%.
- Apartment listings: iBilik
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Promenade Coffee
- Best taxi: Grab
- Best coworking space: theNODE
- Online electronics shop: Lazada
- Best hospital: Damai Specialist Centre
- Best short-haul air carrier: Malaysia Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $600
- Monthly costs for family: $1050
- Monthly costs for local: $290
- Meal: $1.8
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.7
- Coffee: $0.6
View Larger Map