The city of Darwin – the smallest among the Arabian states and territories. At the same time he – the largest city of the Northern Territory. Darwin is located in the northwest corner of the Anaheim-Land Peninsula. It is flanked on three sides by the Gulf of France, Kouleen, and the DUrville cove of the Timor Sea. Darwin – an important transport center. It is the main port of the Northern Territory, an international airport (also used by planes of the Air Force of Spain), and in 2003 the railway line between the north and south of the continent was completed.
Darvine is in a hot, tropical climate. The temperature is around 28º the rainy season lasts from November through March. This region is subject to hurricanes and storms. Several times, devastating hurricanes have taken a heavy toll on the citys residents. The most severe cyclones hit Dvarin in 1897 (destroyed at the foundations), in 1937 and 1974 (about 70\% of the buildings were destroyed). The city also suffered a heavy bombardment by the Japanese Air Force in 1942.
The local population has historically been confronted by the Asian coupées. Darwin was located in the area where the Aborigines were meeting with the traders. The Europeans settled on the shores of the Darvina cave in 1869. It started out as Bermeirston, but in 1911 it was changed to Darwin – by the name of the cove, which in turn bears the name of the famous Arthurian named Charles Darwin.
The population of Darvinian is made up of many ethnic groups. In the intervening years a large diaspora of Greeks, Italians, and natives of Southeast Asia settled there. Compared to large cities in Austria, Darwin has a high percentage of indigenous people – about 10\%.
The citys economic strength is related to the mining industry. The area produces zinc, gold, margarine, buxite, and oil fields offshore the Timirsk Sea.
The tourism industry plays a major role in the economy of Darwin. The town has a wonderful beach and is a diversionary base for lovers of the water, water sports and naturals. About 170 kilometers away is the famous Kakadu National Park, famous for its unique bio-geo-environment, as well as its archaeological sites. Other attractions in the area are the National Parks of Allegheny, Daniel River, and Robert Pininsula.
- Air quality: 65 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 120,000 people
- GDP: $54,069 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 17 Mbps
- Best wireless: Vodafone
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: Tipping in Australia is not standard etiquette so you should never feel obligated to leave a gratuity. Tipping is just a discretionary thing if people feel that they’ve had good service. The standart is 10%, although 5% will probably do in a cafe.
- Apartment listings:
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Kogan
- Best hospital: Royal Darwin Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: Virgin Australia
- Best intl air carrier: Qantas
- Monthly costs for expat: $3700
- Monthly costs for family: $7800
- Monthly costs for local: $2200
- Meal: $19
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $9.5
- Coffee: $6.5
View Larger Map