The city of Sidney is the oldest European settlement in Australia. This is the first time James Cook has visited these lands. He conducts extensive research on the flora and fauna, and provides a detailed map of the area where his ships have anchored. However, the new lands in the British Empire are remembered for the American War of Independence. Before the war all the combatants were sent to America, but after Independence we had to send criminals somewhere to be punished, and that is where Australia was chosen.
The first fleet arrives at the site in early 1788, and, deeming the cove opened by Cook to be inadequate, moves southward. On January 26, Captain Arthur Philip announces the annexation of the lands of New South Wales and becomes governor. In his first years in existence, Sidney, named for the Minister of Lines, looked very unpleasant. Dirty alleys, unkempt houses, ramshackle houses, corruption, lawlessness, an appartmentalization, and lack of food and water did not bring honor to the city. To make matters worse, there was a riot in the colony, caused by a ban on the issuance of booze. In response to the protest, led by the Garrison officers, the British government disorganizes the local regiment, brings in new troops and changes the governor. The new governor establishes Lake Seine, conducts research to enlarge the colony, and establishes a new bank.
In 1842, Lake Seine becomes a city officially, and from that moment it begins to grow and develop steadily. The standard of living in Sidney was traditionally one of the highest, with new buildings and electric lighting. In the twentieth century, in spite of the Great Depression and the ensuing World War, construction in Seoul developed in an unusual way. The Bay Bridge was built, a landmark feature of the city and a marvel of engineering thought. Since 1957, the Opera House has been under construction, becoming an icon not only of Sydney, but of all of Spain. They include numerous museums that tell the story of the Aborigines from ancient times to modern times, monuments of archaeology and art.
- Air quality: 24 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 4,300,000 people
- Population density: euro euro empty: 22x22m 484m per person
- GDP: $54,069 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 19 Mbps
- Best wireless: Optus
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: Tipping in Australia is not standard etiquette so you should never feel obligated to leave a gratuity. Tipping is just a discretionary thing if people feel that they’ve had good service. The standart is 10%, although 5% will probably do in a cafe.
- Apartment listings: Gumtree
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Cafe Hernandez
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Fishburners
- Online electronics shop: Kogan
- Best hospital: East Sydney Private Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: JetStar
- Best intl air carrier: Qantas
- Monthly costs for expat: $3100
- Monthly costs for family: $7800
- Monthly costs for local: $2200
- Meal: $16
- Small Cola: $2
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map