Hyundang – a city in the central part of Sichuan Province, its administrative center and the 5th most populous city in China. The city is located on the same level of the Sichuan Basin on the Jin River. ×Chiandu – the center of the agricultural region, where the climate type has developed with a warm, wet summer and mild winter. The mountains that surround the city from the west and north protect it from the blustery air masses of Tibet and Siberia.
Founded in the 4th century before the Middle Ages, the city was the political center of the region, and was occasionally the capital of various states in the region, in particular the Kingdom of Shu. The city was also famous for the production of cheese, and one of the names of Chndou; Öjingyecheng – translates as city of cheese. After the Mongolian conquest of China in the 17th century, Chiudu retained its status as the center of the Sichuan Province.
Currently, Chiudu – one of the engines of Chinas Western Development Program. The city specializes in high-tech industries. The most successful industries are military aviation, automobile manufacturing (industrial capacities of Toyota, Volvo, and Volkswagen), electrical engineering, and i-technologies. Biopharmaceutical technology is rapidly developing. ×Chindu is considered a major transportation center in western China, where the major rail and road routes intersect. The metropolitan and international airports are in operation.
In spite of rapid urbanization and the construction of new housing complexes, skyscrapers and infrastructure, modernity and antiquity coexist in Chýndou. The architecture is represented in a traditional Chinese style that is inimitably intertwined with the massive constructions of our day. The architectural monuments of Chângdeu stand out among those of the 16th-18th centuries, the Yingyungun, or the Palace of the Black Cow (13th century), the Monastery of the Baoogoungs, the stone masonry of Anhuiun, and the historic quarters of the city. You can spend your leisure time at the museum house of poet Du Fou, the nature reserve of the Great Pandas, and the Lake Caoian area. Modern features include the Tüüüfu Square, the Thunderbird Theater (339 meters), and the Sports Complex.
- Air quality: 101 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 16,000,000 people
- Population density: busy: 13x13m 169m per person
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Chengdu is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Wimdu
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Aoting Garden Hotel
- Best coffee: Dou Dou Cafe
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best hospital: ParkwayHealth China
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: Air China
- Monthly costs for expat: $850
- Monthly costs for family: $1800
- Monthly costs for local: $500
- Meal: $2.5
- Small Cola: $0.4
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.2
- Coffee: $0.8
View Larger Map