In the northern part of Hainan Island lies the city of Haikou, the capital of the Chinese province. Just across the street from it is the area of Liéjoujouandao. They are divided by the waters of the Hainan Bay. At the southern edge of modern Haikou, in ancient times, the ancient capital of Yongyang was located there. From the 8th century onward, it was home to a Chinese military barracks. During Mings reign, it was well protected against possible attacks by intruders. By the 1930s, it was a big city. During the period of Japanese occupation, Haikou developed as an important port. After the founding of the province in 1988, Heinann became its administrative center.
The historic architectural landmarks of the ancient port city are located mainly in the central part of Heikou. Here you can see the magnificent buildings, mostly in a Portuguese style. There are ancient archaeological structures from the South Pacific.
In the citys interior there is a tomb and an emblem of a great leader from the period of the Manin dynasty, Hairoya. There are animal sculptures in close proximity to the memorial. The memorial complex was built in the 16th century. The towns natural landmarks include a crater of an extinct volcano that is several thousand years old. The site is home to a local village that was founded a thousand years ago.
Many of the craft items made by local artisans are offered in city shops. Among the merchandise, one can see a variety of wood items and paintings, Chinese silk and the famous figurine.
Modern Haikou is one of the worlds cleanest large cities and has been awarded high honors many times, including the ” ×Clean City of the State Category, and Chinas Famous Tourist City. It has a modern passenger and passenger port. There are more than 75 comfortably furnished rooms of various categories.
- Air quality: 61 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 830,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Haikou is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Ganji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: China Southern Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $850
- Monthly costs for family: $2300
- Monthly costs for local: $650
- Meal: $3
- Small Cola: $0.8
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.3
- Coffee: $5
View Larger Map