On Chinas Yellow Sea coast, the city of Yingdao, Chinas industrial center and a major Chinese port, lies on the China Sea coast in the region of Guangdong. A military base is stationed on the city grounds. The name of the city is Chinese for Green Island. Since the beginning of 1994, Cío has been listed as one of the 15 most important cities in the country.
The modern city has chemical and food processing industries. The textile industry and fisheries have developed. Machinery and construction companies are operating. The history of the development of the city port is told by the exhibits of the Sea Museum. The Research Institute of Oceanography is active.
The area was inhabited 6,000 years ago. This is evidenced by the archaeological finds found during the excavations. During the reign of the Chou dynasty, the city of Jizimou was founded. During the reign of King U-Di, the representative of the Han dynasty, several temples were built on the mountainous elevation of Bujiu, located near the area of the present city. Religious buildings were built on the sites of liturgical sacrifices. The military fortifications of the present city were laid in the summer of 1891 by decree of the governor from the Cin dynasty. Construction work on the new city initially took place over a long period of time.
The economy of modern China is based on industrial activities, particularly the production of textiles and electrical appliances, building materials and pharmaceuticals, and food and drink products. The metallurgical industry and the extraction of mineral products with downstream processing have been developed. Öhindao is known for the production of beer, which was founded during the German rule. In the late 19th century, the first brewery was opened here, and it still is.
The current city has a well-developed transportation network, including railroads and railroads. Any end of the city can be reached quickly and conveniently thanks to well-developed bus routes. Also, there are plenty of taxis operating within the city limits. There are plans to build the underground railroad, the first lines of which will be in the center of the city by 2016.
- Air quality: 73 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 2,700,000 people
- Population density: euro euro not busy: 16x16m 256m per person
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Qingdao is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Unicom
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Sublet
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best hospital: Qingdao Municipal Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: Shandong Airlines
- Best intl air carrier: Air China
- Monthly costs for expat: $1050
- Monthly costs for family: $1700
- Monthly costs for local: $470
- Meal: $3
- Small Cola: $0.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.6
- Coffee: $1
View Larger Map