Within the mountainous city of Yiangyin, the city of An Yiangyin has sprung up in the Liaoning Province. In Chinese, it means Chinese village, and its origin is related to the shape of a mountain in the area of Anjiang. The city is located 89 kilometers from the capital of the country. It is the center of iron ore mining and steel production. There are large deposits of iron and magnesium.
The modern city, named "Steel Capital", is famous for the worlds largest statue of the Judaica, made of nephrite. At the site of Anjiang, the state-run Tanganyang Sanitarium uses local thermal springs for treatment, needle acupuncture, mud baths, and medical preparations, the main components of which are medicinal herbs.
The ancient history of the city dates back to 1387. It is based on land that was used for worship even 15,000 years ago. During the Russo-Japanese period, Anjiang was greatly damaged, and some of the buildings and structures were destroyed. Thats why the citys streets had to be restored with new houses.
The village of Anjiang is known for its Lady of the Witches Garden. Its largest statue, located here, weighs 260 tons. In 1995, the sculpture was carved out of huge stone and subsequently entered in the Guinness Book of Records. The slopes of the hilltop Mountains of Yingyang, located south-south of the city, are the site of 40 monasteries. During the papal season, about 1,000 Daska priests and Buddhist monks gather there. The well-preserved monasteries include Xianyuan, Zhuangyui, and Draconian Spring – more than 20 monasteries.
Ashan is famous for its three major ports. The oldest is Tangazizi, which was founded during the reign of the Tang dynasty from 618 to 907. Mineral springs used at the springs are high in sodium, iron and potassium. One of the citys main squares is adorned by a musical stand and a silver sculpture that testifies to the prosperity of Anjouan.
- Air quality: 110 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 1,600,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Anshan is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Ganji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best hospital: First Hospital of China Medical University Anshan
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: China Southern Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $650
- Monthly costs for family: $1700
- Monthly costs for local: $500
- Meal: $3
- Small Cola: $0.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $0.9
- Coffee: $3.5
View Larger Map