In the north of China, the city of Dataton lies in provincial China. Its land occupies the land near the Great Wall of China, which separates the land of Inner Mongolia from Inner China. The area is rich in deposits of coal, which active mining transformed Datong into a major industrial center in the aftermath.
In the modern city, there are many multifaceted heavy machinery, food and cement industries. The agricultural sector has developed. There are flour and butter plants in Dataton. Many different lines of traffic crisscross the city in different directions.
Datóon served as a gateway city at the turn of the 4th and 5th centuries. Its purpose was to protect its territories against the invasions of the Huns. As a consequence, Datayun was transformed into the capital city of the state of North Eastern Yemen. It was its people who first embraced Buddhism in what is now China. In order to change the situation, people from other areas of the country, the Han Chinese, were sent to live there permanently. For several centuries, the city has been the northernmost populated locality of the ethnic group.
The first Buddhist temples appeared in the city sooner than in other parts of the country. The most famous local temple is Sunyunkun, which is considered to be the most famous local temple. A significant complex of cave sanctuaries is located on the west side of Dataton.
In 431 the citys territory was protected by a fortified wall 16 kilometers long. In the late 5th century, after the relocation of the capital to Lyon, the city was razed by the nomads. At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, Datun was again surrounded by a fortified wall after its territory was incorporated into the province of Shenyang. The present day Datawan is made up of four districts and seven counties. In its vicinity are the caves of the General Hospital, which contain nearly 50,000 images of the Buddha. Most of them were created in the 5th century.
- Air quality: 54 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 1,500,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Datong is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Ganji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: China Southern Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $1600
- Monthly costs for family: $3300
- Monthly costs for local: $950
- Meal: $19
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $3.5
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map