On the right bank of the River Jessel in the eastern part of Netherland, the city of Devereign, the center of a single village, has sprung up. It is the publishing and industrial center of the country. At one time it was one of the Georgian cities. Every year, in the heat of summer, the fair invites citizens and visitors to see whats new in the world of publishing. The snowy winter is a dreamy Dickens Festival, during which townspeople dress up in the costumes of the Victorian period.
According to one version, the village was founded in 768, probably by Lebuenin, a Christian missionary. In the 16th century, Devereign was a thriving market. Seagoing ships cruised up the Eessel to and from the city. In the early 19th century, carpet masters in Deventer were known throughout the country for their craftsmanship. Todays city is decorated with old houses from the past. Some of them have gerolas. Such buildings have been declared a National Treasure of the Netherlands.
- Air quality: 13 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 99,000 people
- Population density: euro euro empty: 36x36m 1296m per person
- GDP: $45,753 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 41 Mbps
- Best wireless: Lebara
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because Albert Heijn still doesnt accept CC
- Tipping: In the Netherlands tipping is expected in restaurants for good or exceptional service, around 5-10% of the bill. If the service was average, you can round-up the bill or leave the change. Give your tip to the service person directly. Don’t tip for bad service.
- Apartment listings: AirBnb
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Cool Blue
- Best short-haul air carrier: KLM
- Best intl air carrier: KLM
- Monthly costs for expat: $2400
- Monthly costs for family: $4300
- Monthly costs for local: $1200
- Meal: $21
- Small Cola: $2.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $5
- Coffee: $3
View Larger Map