Coronignan – the largest city of the same province, located on the Channel of the Margaritimes. It is a port and is surrounded by a well-developed network of small canals. It is known in Groeningen, first of all, as a university city. About 30 percent of its population is made up of students. It has the distinction of being the uniquely car-friendly city, as more than half of the citys transportation capacity is in this form. The medieval chronicles mention the city since 1040. Traces of permanent settlements date back to the 3rd century, and the earliest human activity to the 39th-37th centuries.
In the 13th century, Gröningen was already a large trading center, complete with massive walls. By the 15th century, the city had &cast;elevated to the status of capital – it was the administrative center of Lisland, but with the extensive privileges of a country town. In 1564, Groeningen joined Spain as a partner in the Age of Naples. As a result, Groeningen and all the surrounding lands were part of the independent Netherlands in the 17th century. The city stood up to the Anglo-Hungarian War (17th century) and was not seriously damaged in the World Wars of the 20th century either.
The city of Groeningen has retained a comprehensive architectural structure of its historic center. The center of Groeningen is full of many cultural attractions and places of remembrance. In the main square of the Grote Markt, the Church of St. Martin, known since the 10th century, is in the main square of the Grote Markt. It is home to one of the largest organs in Northern Europe, and holds public ceremonies. The University of Groeningen is also a landmark and pride of Groeningen. Founded in 1614, it is one of Europes leading universities. The University of Groeningen has produced many renowned scientists, including the first Dutch master of science, Jubilee Oecoquelas.
The citys visible objects include the Art Museum (1994) and the Sports Center & ‖Euroborg‖ (2005); (2005), including, in addition to the non-football arena, a cinema, a movie theater, a school and a fitness center.
- Air quality: 24 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 200,000 people
- Population density: euro euro empty: 22x22m 484m per person
- GDP: $45,753 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 56 Mbps
- Best wireless: Lebara
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because Albert Heijn still doesnt accept CC
- Tipping: In the Netherlands tipping is expected in restaurants for good or exceptional service, around 5-10% of the bill. If the service was average, you can round-up the bill or leave the change. Give your tip to the service person directly. Don’t tip for bad service.
- Apartment listings: Marktplaats
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: The Milk Lab
- Online electronics shop: Cool Blue
- Best short-haul air carrier: Transavia
- Best intl air carrier: KLM
- Monthly costs for expat: $2200
- Monthly costs for family: $5100
- Monthly costs for local: $1450
- Meal: $12
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $4.5
View Larger Map