Robert Amsterdam – the second-largest city in the Netherlands, the countrys industrial capital and one of the worlds largest ports. It is located in the lower reaches of the River Rhine and the Maas. The origin of the name comes from one of the many arms of the Maasas – the Rotaete, on which the dam was built. The settlement near this dam has been Rotterdam (Rotterdam Dam) since the 1260s. The city is riddled with a rich network of cables, many on islands.
In the late Middle Ages, Rothertown grew due to the regional trade in the North Sea and thanks to the harbor. The opening of América has had a boom effect on the growth of the city, And with the independence of the Netherlands and their colonial policies in Southeast Asia and the New World, Rotterdam became the countrys main port and one of the worlds trading hubs. In 1872, the Neuve Vautervaig canal was opened, establishing Rotterdam as the largest port for seagoing vessels. From 1962 to 2004, Rotterdam was consistently the port with the largest cargo traffic on the planet.
Rotterdam was once a cultural center. Many famous artists and scientists have come to light here. Unfortunately, much of the citys historic center was destroyed in the bombardments of World War II. Among the buildings that have survived the aviation attacks are St. Lawrence Church (15th century), the cathedral (1910s), the city hall (1920), and the White House (1898) – the first sky-scraper in Europe. The rest are modern architectural features. They are a quarter of cabbage houses (1884), the 185-meter Euromast (1960), the pontoon bridge Erazma, or Elf-most (1996), various skyscrapers, the Grand Theater & lyukshor New York (2001). In 2010, the largest church in Western Europe was opened.
This is a multicultural city with a vibrant cultural scene. There is the Blejäîðp zoo, the dendrological park Tormönborg, the park Pölösvayek, the aquarium. Rotterdam is home to a laboratory of experts, several major museums, and many nightclubs. Internationally, the International Festival of Independent Cinema takes place in January, and the Caribbean Festival &nash; in the summer. More than 3 million tourists visit Rotterdam each year.
- Air quality: 44 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 620,000 people
- Population density: euro euro empty: 18x18m 324m per person
- GDP: $45,753 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 34 Mbps
- Best wireless: Lebara
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because Albert Heijn still doesnt accept CC
- Tipping: In the Netherlands tipping is expected in restaurants for good or exceptional service, around 5-10% of the bill. If the service was average, you can round-up the bill or leave the change. Give your tip to the service person directly. Don’t tip for bad service.
- Apartment listings: Marktplaats
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Rotterdam Startup Port
- Online electronics shop: Cool Blue
- Best short-haul air carrier: Transavia
- Best intl air carrier: KLM
- Monthly costs for expat: $2300
- Monthly costs for family: $4500
- Monthly costs for local: $1300
- Meal: $15
- Small Cola: $3
- Beer 1 Pint: $6
- Coffee: $4.5
View Larger Map