Teksel (Texel, Dutch: [ˈtɛsəl]) is an island in the Netherlands, in the province of North Holland. Texel is the largest and most populated of the West Frisian Islands. The island is the home of the community of the same name. Back in 1415, the island received city rights. The area under the Teksel Community Council is 585.96 km², although most of it (416.14 km²) is in the water area. Thus, formally, Texel is the largest city in the Netherlands in terms of area.
Although the Latin letter x is present in the name of the island, the name is pronounced Texel. Historically the island was called Tessel, gradually the spelling ss in the word was replaced by a similar letter x.
- Air quality: 25 US AQI Good. Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
- Tap water: Yes, safe to drink
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 14,000 people
- Population density: euro euro empty: 109x109m 11881m per person
- GDP: $45,753 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 57 Mbps
- Best wireless: Vodafone
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because Albert Heijn still doesnt accept CC
- Tipping: In the Netherlands tipping is expected in restaurants for good or exceptional service, around 5-10% of the bill. If the service was average, you can round-up the bill or leave the change. Give your tip to the service person directly. Don’t tip for bad service.
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Officenter
- Best coffee: Het Cafeetje – Eten & Drinken
- Best taxi: Uber
- Online electronics shop: Cool Blue
- Best hospital: Medisch Centrum Oosterend
- Best short-haul air carrier: KLM
- Best intl air carrier: KLM
- Monthly costs for expat: $3000
- Monthly costs for family: $4600
- Monthly costs for local: $1300
- Meal: $24
- Small Cola: $2.5
- Beer 1 Pint: $5
- Coffee: $3
View Larger Map