In the heart of the Yellow River in central Chinas Guangdong Province lies the central city of Foshan, the ancient center for the production of fiber, silk, and furniture. Its name, translated in Chinese, means the Mountain of Wisdom. Located just a short distance from Guangzhou, it is only 16 kilometers away. The cities are connected by rail and a separate rail line.
In the 18th century, the city was one of the countrys most important economic centers. But because of natural changes, the city is inaccessible to large ships due to the ice-covered river channels. In consequence, it soon became an industrial city in the rapidly developing Mongolian province of Hong Kong.
One of the citys economic sectors is furniture manufacturing. There are several hundreds of factories that produce furniture here. Market spaces occupy vast areas. There are nearly 3,000 representations of furniture companies and firms in the city and surrounding areas. Modern France is also famous for its ceramics production. It is home to companies that produce half of Chinas ceramics. A large portion of ceramics is exported.
The ancient city is famous for its marvelous natural treasures. In its southern part are waterfalls, caves, and mountain elevations. The ancient temple, over 800 years old, is remarkable for its architecture and collection of sculptures. Here is an ancient kiln, believed to have been used for burning the charcoal during the Tang dynasty.
On one of the citys streets is the family home of famous Hollywood actor Bruce Lees ancestors. It contains many of his many pictures and a few personal items, such as his sports suit for training. Moreover, ancient Foshan is the birthplace of martial artists such as Yip Mana and Huang Feiyoung. This is the birthplace of the famous painter Yang Jocheng.
- Air quality: 98 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 770,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Foshan is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Ganji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best coworking space: Regus
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: China Southern Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $1000
- Monthly costs for family: $2900
- Monthly costs for local: $800
- Meal: $3
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $3
- Coffee: $4.5
View Larger Map