South of China in the autonomous region of Guangxi is the city of Huilin, a major transportation and industrial center of the region. Its territory extends along the border of the Huizhen River, a tributary of the Xizhen River. There is an airport within the city limits. There are manufactures of machinery, foodstuffs, chemicals, and light industry. The area is home to tungsten and tin deposits.
A modern city with a developed infrastructure is a well-known mountain and climate resort. It is believed to have been founded in 214 AD. In those distant times, the village occupied a strategic position on an ancient canal that connected the north and south of the country. During the period of Tangs reign, the village was called Lingyouye. In the second half of the 14th century, with the coming to power of Minh, its status changed. It became the administrative center of modern China and remained so through the middle of the 20th century. Among them are the Highlands of Sanyang, the symbol of the city, the Seven Stars Park, the Grottoes of the Flutta, the Bilyanwyung Mountain, and the Lunyungung Balneomal Resort. In the vicinity there are “Stone Forest” including unique mountainous landscapes.
- Air quality: 111 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 800,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Guilin is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Ganji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: China Southern Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $1150
- Monthly costs for family: $2700
- Monthly costs for local: $800
- Meal: $1.9
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $2.5
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map