In northeastern China lies the city of Harbin, the capital of the province of Hyolongchia. In the Middle Ages, in the 12th century, the first capital city of the state of Jinyin was located here. The origin of Kharabin is related to the construction of the Trans-Czech Republic Railway. In 1898, the railroad station was built there, and the first structures were soon built around it.
Harabin was co-founded by Nikolay Svyavyayagin, the leader of the construction of the Chinese Eastern Railway. It was founded by the Russians, and Harabin has kept houses in its old part, the architecture of which is typical of Siberia.
In 1900, the city tried to be overrun by the Ituanians, who called themselves the “s of Peace and Law and Order. In 1901, the station of the District Guard District was based here. In addition to the Chinese, the Russian administration was also active on the territory of the city. Between 1910 and 1911, many townspeople suffered from a devastating plague epidemic, which was hard to deal with because of the Kharabin duel.
By the time of the October Revolution in Russia, the number of Russian citizens was nearly 40 percent of those living in Kharabin. After the revolution, many noblemen were forced to leave Russia. ×Some of them settled in Kharabin. Russian aristocracy subsequently played an important role in the citys economic development.
In 1932 the city fell into the occupation zone of the Japanese forces. In 1935, many of the townspeople who had come from Russia deserted the city. During World War II, Soviet Army troops came into its territory. After the victory over the Japanese, the city became the Chinese Communists backwater zone.
After the establishment of China, Kharabin saw a growth of heavy industry. Newcomers came from the south of the country. The current city is one of Chinas major trade centers, trading with Russia. There is a great deal of shipbuilding and construction. There are textile, chemical, leather and food industries. The universities of Haugaín and Haïd are active, with students from many countries.
- Air quality: 110 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 11,000,000 people
- Population density: busy: 11x11m 121m per person
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Harbin is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Unicom
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Roomorama
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Holiday Inn-Harbin City Centre
- Best coffee: USABUCKS Coffee
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best hospital: Jewish Private Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: China Flying Dragon Aviation
- Best intl air carrier: Air China
- Monthly costs for expat: $900
- Monthly costs for family: $1900
- Monthly costs for local: $550
- Meal: $4.5
- Small Cola: $0.8
- Beer 1 Pint: $2.5
- Coffee: $1.6
View Larger Map