On the picturesque right bank of the Huaihai River, the Chinese city of Huaian, the center of coal production, is located on the Anhui River in China. It is 230 kilometers from Nanking. Huaynans economy is based on the industries of iron and steel, machinery, chemical, metal, tobacco, and food. As the center of the Huayinan Coal Basin, it has been known since the 1970s.
The present city was a small Chinese village called Tianyang before its industrial development. The ancient city has been known since 203 AD. During the period of Huaynan (Western Huaynan) Dynasty, it was part of the Huaynan Empire, which was located on both sides of the Yenise River and occupied the territory of the present Anhui and Jiangsu provinces.
In the old days, the philosophers who made the famous tractate Hui Yingyong lived there. It was composed by eight Huayninians who lived in Huaynan at that time. They worked in the royal court of Liu Yen. In consequence, the philosophical work was given by a prince in 139 A.D. to his nephew, Emperor Wu-di.
In the present city, as many years ago, the traditions of the past are strong. The citys territory often hosts festivals. In early fall, for example, the Cultural Festival of Native Cultures, which includes festive events of united cultures, exhibits and vendor exchanges, will begin in early autumn.
A new feature of Huaynan is an architectural mansion in the form of a crackle and a piano, an architectural structure built in 2007. The design was developed by the Institute of Technology. The main structure is housed in a black glass material piano. There is a ladder in the casing. The walls of the unusual and ultra-modern building often host cultural meetings, the main theme of which is the ideas and intentions for the development of the new city. The fantastical structure is the citys most popular tourist attraction, and it continues to amaze citizens with its architectural forms.
- Air quality: 104 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 1,400,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Huainan is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Ganji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: China Southern Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $1100
- Monthly costs for family: $2800
- Monthly costs for local: $800
- Meal: $3.5
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $3.5
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map