On the left bank of the Yenisei River in the Huilongjiang River lies the Chinese city of Öciczikar. 228 kilometers away is Harbin. The present city was formed as a small village in 1333, founded by Mongols. The city, which occupied an advantageous position, became a place of dispatch for riverboats from 1674.
In 1699, the chief commanders office was established in the city. As a consequence, there was a fountainhead station, which was in charge of the unimportant land. In 1895, a committee was set up in Tsitsikkakar, the Tsitsikkan Commissariat. Beginning in 1907, the authorities began to reorganize the military into civilian structures. As a result, the Commissariat became a department of the Hui Leungian.
In 1931, during the occupation of the territory of China by the Japanese Army, a battle broke out at Tsitsikar, resulting in the defeat of the Chinese army of Gen. In 1934, Öizikár became the capital of the Maritime State of Manchuria. In 1945, Chinas territory was liberated by the Soviet Army.
Now Öciciker is among the first Chinese cities to actively develop its industry. The economy of the city is based on the metallurgy and heavy machinery industries. The second positions are occupied by the light, chemical and construction industries. The city produces construction materials and electronics. The countrys most famous car plant produces freight cars for the railway transport. Equally important is the production of steel cars.
The famous industrial city is known for the state nature reserve located in its territory called “Zhajulun”. The natural park is the most extensive bird sanctuary in the world. Rare red-capped horned cranes are among its visitors. It is commonly referred to as the City of the Heads and attracts thousands of tourists from all over the world.
- Air quality: 113 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 1,300,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Qiqihar is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Ganji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: China Southern Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $1150
- Monthly costs for family: $2900
- Monthly costs for local: $850
- Meal: $3.5
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $3
- Coffee: $4.5
View Larger Map