Rio de Janeiro (according to the BSE, “more correctly Rio de Janeiro”; abbreviated as Rio, port. Rio de Janeiro – January River) is a city in Brazil. Administrative center of the state of Rio de Janeiro of the same name.
Population – 6.7 million (2018), it is the second largest city in the country and the fourth largest in South America. Forms an agglomeration of more than 12.5 million people (2018). A major financial center and seaport on the continent, and an academic center.
It is located on the shore of Guanabara Bay of the Atlantic Ocean, on a narrow plain sandwiched on two sides by mountains and the sea. The climate is tropical. The area was discovered by the Portuguese navigator Gaspar de Lemouche, who mistook Guanabara Bay for the mouth of a river, which was named the January River. In 1531 the Portuguese fort of San Sebastian de Rio de Janeiro was founded. From 1763 was the capital of the Viceroyalty of Brazil, from 1822 the capital of the independent Brazilian Empire, and from 1889 to 1960 the capital of the republic of the United States of Brazil.
The historic center with buildings of XVI-XIX centuries, the coast together with Copacabana beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain and the statue of Christ are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 6,300,000 people
- Population density: busy: 12x12m 144m per person
- GDP: $8,649 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 115V230V60Hz
- Internet: 12 Mbps
- Best wireless: Vivo
- Pay without cash: Yes, cards OK almost everywhere
- Tipping: Brazilians have a friendly reputation, but tipping is not a part of the culture. Restaurants: A 10% “servico” charge is often added to the bill. While there is no legal obligation to pay it, it’s customary to do so.
- Apartment listings: Zap
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Uber
- Best coworking space: Tribo
- Online electronics shop: Submarino
- Best hospital: Rede DOr
- Best short-haul air carrier: Azul
- Best intl air carrier: Tam
- Monthly costs for expat: $1200
- Monthly costs for family: $2600
- Monthly costs for local: $750
- Meal: $4
- Small Cola: $0.7
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.9
- Coffee: $1.3
View Larger Map