Sengigi is a small village located on the northwest coast of Lombok island. There are different villas, small private hotels, but there is a large 4-star. Along the road there are different restaurants, cafes designed for tourists with Eastern and European cuisine, stores and even delicious cakes are sold.
Upon arrival in Senggigi, the girls went to some small hotel marked in their guidebook and I went with them. It turned out to be expensive there at 120 rupees. They refused. I cheered up and, as the leader, suggested we go and look for lodging – my usual option. We found a home-stay in a private house. The rooms were 70,000 rupees with breakfast. I was alone and the hostess let me down for 65 thousand rupees. The rain was almost over so I went to find somewhere to eat and look around. Imagine my surprise when in a small room – a la travel agency, where I just looked for information, found a local very ordinary guy, learning Russian – wow. Well, sat down to chat for an hour, a mixture of super sloppy Russian and the same English.
The beach in Senggigi is sandy, the sand is dark, but not black, like in Chandidas in Bali. If you go north on the highway, around the corner there is a beautiful view and the beach. There is also some hotel there mostly for Indonesians. I did not swim.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 10,000 people
- GDP: $3,570 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 9 Mbps
- Best wireless: Telkomsel
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: Tipping is not mandatory. However, if you want to tip, perhaps provide 5-10% of the total bill. Restaurants: some restaurants will include 5-10% service charge to their bill. But if they don’t levy any service charge, you can tip between Rp10,000 to 10% of the total bill.
- Apartment listings: AirBnb
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: GoJEK
- Online electronics shop: Tokopedia
- Best short-haul air carrier: Lion
- Best intl air carrier: Garuda
- Monthly costs for expat: $340
- Monthly costs for family: $700
- Monthly costs for local: $210
- Meal: $1.7
- Small Cola: $0.3
- Beer 1 Pint: $0.9
- Coffee: $0.7
View Larger Map