In the south-east of China, the city of Guangdong lies on the territory of Chinas Guangdong Province. It is located on the coast of the South China Sea on the banks of the Khinghui River. There is a port on its territory. The modern city of Shenytoe has a very well-developed transport network. The area has a successful industrial machinery industry, in particular machinery and agricultural equipment. Light industry has developed. There are sugar and candy manufactures, construction materials and textiles. Local craftsmen make wreaths and cakes, lacquered and bamboo varied items. All items of art are made using ancient craftsmanship techniques. Fishing plays an important role in the economy of the city. Todays Chentyotou is also considered the center of the fishing industry.
The ancient city has an ancient history. It was originally founded as a small fishing village whose main occupation was fishing for seafood. The active development of the village began with the opening of a free market for foreign trade. Due to the termination of trade relations with Taiwan in 1949, the city developed as an industrial center. In its streets, among the many foreign signs above the shops, one can see writings in Thai. ×Some of the former inhabitants of the Chinese city now live in Thailand. Perhaps this can explain the presence of Thai businessmen in China, who conduct their trade in their ancestral homeland.
The developed cultural city is known as an ethnic cultural center with its own language. The indigenous people have their own language "tae jiu" they have their own traditions and everyday life, as well as an authentic cuisine. On one of the streets of the city are ancient temple structures. Until now, only the ruins remain of what was once a great structure. Nearby, an exotic shop for foreign tourists sells cats and turtles.
- Air quality: 77 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 1,300,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Shantou is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: ZTE
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Sublet
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: GreenTree Alliance Hotel
- Best coffee: Regency Grand Hotel
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: Air China
- Monthly costs for expat: $550
- Monthly costs for family: $950
- Monthly costs for local: $270
- Meal: $1.6
- Small Cola: $0.3
- Beer 1 Pint: $0.8
- Coffee: $0.5
View Larger Map