The capital of Chinas Yingying Province, Xingying, has sprung up on the banks of the China River in Northwest China. It is an important industrial center in the region and a major transportation hub. The region is also a major transportation hub, and it is a successful location for metal and machine building, chemical and textile industries. There is a livestock processing plant in operation. In the vicinity of the city, there were coal mines that were active in the extraction of mineral resources.
In the second century, there was a settlement in what is now the city, but it was destroyed 200 years later and then demolished. At the dawn of the 12th century, a new town, called Sinnin, appeared in the place where it had been wiped out. Its advantageous geographic location was conducive to the citys prosperity. It lay on the trade route between Tibet and Central Asia. For centuries, the rich caravans have passed through its territory, staying there to rest.
Beginning in the 18th century, Xinging developed into the metropolitan center of the province of Gansu. In the second half of the 19th century, the citys population suffered during the Mongolian revolt. The insurgents who invaded the city wiped out some of the people. The next step in the citys development came in 1959 with the construction of the railroad line.
The largest church in Xinjing is considered to be the Dungunan Church. It is one of the largest of its kind in China. The citys historic landmarks include the Yingxou Mountain and the Baiyecheng Monastery. Not so far from the city, just 25 kilometers away, is the Tár Kúmúm temple. At one time it had 800 chambers. It was built using elements of Chinese and Chinese architecture. A significant Buddhist temple was laid in 1577. The citys natural treasure is Lake Cinchay.
The modern city is home to several ethnic minorities with their own traditions, culture and way of life. The village, like many years ago, is known for its handmade rugs. In addition, the small shops are home to authentic craftsmens masterpieces such as knives and swords, Chinese jewelry, religious atraments and unique artifacts.
- Air quality: 85 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 850,000 people
- GDP: $8,126 / year
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 2 Mbps Internet in Xining is fast averaging 16 Mbps but the Great Firewall slows down speeds to foreign websites by 8x to 2 Mbps.
- Best wireless: China Mobile
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners because WeChat is very hard to set up
- Tipping: Tipping in China is generally uncommon and can even be considered rude or embarrassing in some circumstances. Seriously. Leaving money on a table in an authentic restaurant may confuse a staff member or cause them stress. … Even worse, gratuity is illegal in airports and some establishments.
- Apartment listings: Ganji
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Didi
- Best short-haul air carrier: Hainan
- Best intl air carrier: China Southern Airlines
- Monthly costs for expat: $1050
- Monthly costs for family: $2700
- Monthly costs for local: $800
- Meal: $1.9
- Small Cola: $0.6
- Beer 1 Pint: $2.5
- Coffee: $4
View Larger Map