Ahmedabad (also Amdavad, Ahmedabad or Ahemedavad) is the largest city in Gujarat. It is a stunning metropolis with ancient history, many interesting buildings, labyrinthine old neighborhoods, excellent museums, good restaurants, and delightful night markets. Although the old-world charm has almost disappeared under the onslaught of traffic, crowds, filth and stark contrasts between 21st century wealth and poverty, many travelers stop here briefly on their way to Rajasthan or Mumbai to go to the Sabarmati Ashram (the former headquarters of Gandhi). You will have to put in a lot of effort to get to know the city, as it is sprawling and difficult to navigate.
The old town lies on the east side of the Sabarmati River and was once surrounded by a ten-kilometer wall, of which there are now 15 menacing-looking gates, standing like lonely islands in the midst of the bustling, chaotic traffic. The new town on the west side of the river has been almost entirely built in the last 50 years. It has wide streets with quieter traffic and numerous middle-class residential neighborhoods.
- Air quality: 116 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Ambiguous
- Population: 5,600,000 people
- Population density: crowded: 7x7m 49m per person
- GDP: $1,706 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 8 Mbps
- Best wireless: AirTel
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: At restaurants, you should tip 10 percent for standard service. If someone really went out of their way and the service was exceptional, you can tip up to 15 percent. If the bill is quite high, like over 1,000 rupees, you can tip a little less.
- Apartment listings:
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Ola
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best hospital: Care Institute of Medical Sciences
- Best short-haul air carrier: IndiGo
- Best intl air carrier: Air India
- Monthly costs for expat: $410
- Monthly costs for family: $370
- Monthly costs for local: $110
- Meal: $0.2
- Small Cola: $0
- Beer 1 Pint: $0.1
- Coffee: $0.1
View Larger Map