Varranas – a large city on the River Ganges at the confluence of the rivers Varun and Assisi. It is considered Indias oldest city. As a spiritual center, it is regarded as a sacred city for Buddhists and Jainists. According to Hindu beliefs, Vararana – the center of the earth.
In ancient times Vararana had many names and was featured in the earliest literary works of India. Today you can still see names like Benares, Casci, and even «Rhyme of the Indians.
Indian legends say that Vararana was founded about 5,000 years ago by the god Cheva. Historians & ‖corrects‖ the age of the city to 3,000 years. In the 6th century, Varanasi was a major commercial and trade center. Later it was the capital of Kasha, the center of art and learning. At the end of the 18th century, the Anglo-Americans came in and set up their own institutions, but Vararnasse, which had lost its political power, remained a spiritual center, not under the authority of the English administration. However, during the 1857 revolt of the Serbian soldiers, a revolutionary commission was established in Vararunas.
Vararanas – one of the seven sacred cities of the Apostles and a site of mass pogroms. There are a large number of Buddhist and Hindu temples in Varanasia. There are Muslim churches and Christian churches.
Central to the attractions is the fringe of the river banks of the River Ganges, where a continuous string of stupendous structures – the Khatas. They are used for liturgical ceremonies for pallbearers. There are altogether over 80 ghats in Varanasi. Other religious buildings include the 13th-century Durga, the 13th-century Kashi Viswanathi and the Nepalese wooden temple. In Varunas, the Buddha Gautama taught his teachings. The site of the first teaching was the Dhámek Camp – a sacred place for Buddhists. Many of the religious buildings of the Buddhists are now in the Ruin, as are some of the Hindu ones. The Fort of Agamnagar (18th century) – a legacy of the Mogul period of history. It is the site of the Museum and Shrine of Vyasza.
As an educational center in Vanuatu, it is known as the Universities of Sanskrit, India and the Center for the Study of Tibet.
- Air quality: 125 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 1,100,000 people
- GDP: $1,706 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 6 Mbps
- Best wireless: AirTel
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: At restaurants, you should tip 10 percent for standard service. If someone really went out of their way and the service was exceptional, you can tip up to 15 percent. If the bill is quite high, like over 1,000 rupees, you can tip a little less.
- Apartment listings: 99Acres
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Ola
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: Indigo
- Best intl air carrier: Jet Airways
- Monthly costs for expat: $480
- Monthly costs for family: $800
- Monthly costs for local: $230
- Meal: $1.3
- Small Cola: $0.4
- Beer 1 Pint: $2
- Coffee: $0.9
View Larger Map