The city of Ludhiana, an important transportation hub and one of the industrial centers of northern India, has sprung up in the old russel of the Satyajan River in Pendajab Province. A large part of the population speaks Pandhijabi, but Hindi is also used.
The main religions are Indianism and Sikhism, with a small percentage of Muslims. The citys economy is based on machinery and metal processing, textile and leather goods manufacturing. ×One version is that the city was founded in 1480 under the dynasty of Lodges, for whom it was named. In 1805, during the colonial period, Ludhiana was an important administrative center. The high quality of textile products is known in many countries. The cotton and cotton-paper products made in Ludhiana can be found in large stores in all parts of the world. This city is known not only for its industries. Its territory is the center of palladium. Thousands of believers seek out the holy sites in Ludhiana.
Some institutions of higher learning operate in the city, including the renowned Pendjab Agricultural University and two medical colleges. The university has a museum of agriculture. Fascinating artifacts are kept in the war museum, with a lighted show.
The best time of the year to visit Ludhiana is from February through mid-April. Modern hotels open their doors for a comfortable stay for tourists.
A new hotel, the first multi-unit modern hotel complex with more than 80 rooms, recently welcomed its first guests. Each is equipped with a TV, minibar, and electronic telephone. There is a business center, a few clubs, a health club and a night club, two restaurants and a bar.
- Air quality: 102 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 1,400,000 people
- GDP: $1,706 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 9 Mbps
- Best wireless: AirTel
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: At restaurants, you should tip 10 percent for standard service. If someone really went out of their way and the service was exceptional, you can tip up to 15 percent. If the bill is quite high, like over 1,000 rupees, you can tip a little less.
- Apartment listings: Quikr
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best coffee 24/7: Zodiac 24 Hours Astral Coffee Shop
- Best taxi: Ola
- Best coworking space: Spartan Startup
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best hospital: Kalra Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: IndiGo
- Best intl air carrier: Air India
- Monthly costs for expat: $320
- Monthly costs for family: $550
- Monthly costs for local: $160
- Meal: $1.5
- Small Cola: $0.3
- Beer 1 Pint: $0.8
- Coffee: $0.5
View Larger Map