In the northwest of India, in the state of Pendjab, the city of Amritzar, a sacred place of the Sikhs, has sprung up. The founder of it is considered to be Gram Dasum – the four Gurus. The city, founded in 1577, was named for the name of the holy pond, in the central part of which is the Golden Temple of Haramandir Sahihab.
Founded in ancient times, the Kingdom of God embraces the ideas of several religions. The sekkahs do not recognize caste and believe that all men are equal before the Supreme. Modern-day Amitysar is, as it was in ancient times, the historical, cultural and religious center of the Sikhs.
In 1577, Guru Pharaoh Das dug a ditch in the area around which the city grew up. The center of the handicrafts pond is the center of the city. The upper levels of the structure are covered in gold. The first stone of the future temple was laid by the great priest Hazrat Mayan Mir in 1588. The construction of the Golden Temple was completed in 1604. The path to the saints shrine was on a marble bridge. In the late 19th century, the future Russian Emperor Nicholas II visited the Golden Temple.
In the early autumn of each year, traditionally, shakes from every corner of the globe come to Amritthar. On the first of September, 400 years ago, a book called Guru Gráinth Sahíáb was placed in the Golden Temple, the main sacred place of the Sikhs by Ardžan Dýv, and the book was called Guru Gráinth Sahíáb. It contains the teachings of all ten of the Gurus who participated in the creation of the religion of Sakkhaism. The 10 Guru can be seen in many homes in the city.
The citys landmarks also include the shrine of Dhurrajan Mandir, which is the main Jewish religious institution in the state. Because of the silver-covered surfaces of the doors, the church is called the Silver Temple. The structure was built in 1921 at the center of the pond, to which there is a ditched path. The village is notable for the fact that the flags of two countries, Pakistan and India, are regularly flown. At one time, Wagah was the only border crossing between the two nations. The flag lowering ceremony lasts about 40 minutes and attracts a large number of people and tourists from both sides.
- Air quality: 109 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 970,000 people
- GDP: $1,706 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 8 Mbps
- Best wireless: AirTel
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: At restaurants, you should tip 10 percent for standard service. If someone really went out of their way and the service was exceptional, you can tip up to 15 percent. If the bill is quite high, like over 1,000 rupees, you can tip a little less.
- Apartment listings: 99Acres
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Ola
- Best coworking space: JL Khanna
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best hospital: Dr Parminder Singh Pannu Memorial Janta Hospital
- Best short-haul air carrier: Indigo
- Best intl air carrier: Jet Airways
- Monthly costs for expat: $500
- Monthly costs for family: $1000
- Monthly costs for local: $290
- Meal: $2.5
- Small Cola: $0.3
- Beer 1 Pint: $2.5
- Coffee: $2
View Larger Map