Chennai – a city in the south of India, one of the countrys largest cities. Founded in the 17th century, it was originally called Madras, but changed in 1996 to its present name, Chennai, as it developed and merged with Chennai. It is a major industrial center of India with machinery, paper and leather products, petroleum and petroleum refining. In addition, Chennai – an important trade and transport hub in the country.
One of the citys main attractions is the Port of St. George. It was the base of St. Georges harbor. The fort is now occupied by government agencies and is closed to the public, but you can still visit the museum, which is a clear representation of the history of the fort. Not far from it is the first American church built in India – the Church of the Virgin Mary.
More interesting is one of Indias most important sacred sites, the early 16th-century white-cast stone Cathedral of St. Thomas. Thomas. According to tradition, St. Thomas – was the first Christian to enter the land of India, and his remains are buried in the cathedral.
Ã¢â¬â¢s main Indian shrines in Chennai are the two Paramount Shrines – the Pârtrañasârtha and the Kâpâläsârtha. The Pārputḥasarḥā, built in the 8th century in honor of the god Krisa, is one of the oldest temples in the country.
Kapapaševarḥar – a beautiful example of the archaic architecture of the Dravidians, was built in honor of the god Øvëa. The walls of the temple, painted according to Indian mythology, are striking in their grandeur, and some of the inscriptions found there date back to the middle of the 13th century.
Fans of the beach have the great opportunity to sunbathe and swim at the longest stretch of beach in Asia – Mararia Beach. Travelers with children will enjoy the Snake Park, which has the richest collection of reptiles.
At least as rich are the attractions of the Chennai Islands, one of which is Mahaalalpurah – A huge complex of over a dozen seventeenth- and eighth-century temples and the famous iconic sacred bas-reliefs of the &lacustrine Arajuna» are located throughout the complex. It is also worth visiting Madhurai – the famous place of palaeomnichestvo with its pomex of the Chivah Temple, the jewel of which is «Thousand-Kolumn Hall» and Minakashi Mandir – the 16th-century colloquial temple of the God of Minakashi.
The 16th-century temple of the God of Minakashi is also worth a visit.
- Air quality: 66 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 6,700,000 people
- Population density: busy: 8x8m 64m per person
- GDP: $1,706 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 9 Mbps
- Best wireless: Airtel
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: At restaurants, you should tip 10 percent for standard service. If someone really went out of their way and the service was exceptional, you can tip up to 15 percent. If the bill is quite high, like over 1,000 rupees, you can tip a little less.
- Apartment listings: Magicbricks
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Ola
- Best coworking space: The Startup Center
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: IndiGo
- Best intl air carrier: Emirates
- Monthly costs for expat: $420
- Monthly costs for family: $700
- Monthly costs for local: $200
- Meal: $1
- Small Cola: $0.2
- Beer 1 Pint: $0.5
- Coffee: $0.3
View Larger Map