Collum (another version of Killion) – a city and port on the Arabian Sea, on the south side of the state of Kerala. Callum is in the mouth of the Callalde River, which spills over into Lake Ashtamuddy in the lower reaches. The port of Collem was the center of international trade since ancient times. The Finnic, Roman and Chinese merchants came here. In the Middle Ages the importance of Kalam did not decrease, the city even became the capital of the state of Benedonia. In 1502, the first Europeans arrived here – the Portuguese, who later established the poultry trade. According to one version, the origin of the city comes from a Sanskrit word meaning pepper. During Hollands and Englands time in the region, Colellam remained the most important market for precious stones, gems and ceches.
Collums vibrant center of commerce has been influenced by many cultures, and its archaeological culture is well documented in the city. There are a number of Christian churches (Asramama Srekrishna Svami, Sri Svami Subramana), mosques (Jumma-At Palli, Otra Jumma) and Churches of Christianity. The floating houses on Lake Ashtamuddy – a feature of Collem. Every year there are colorful celebrations and festivals.
- Air quality: 115 US AQI Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Religious
- Population: 1,100,000 people
- GDP: $1,706 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 8 Mbps
- Best wireless: AirTel
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: At restaurants, you should tip 10 percent for standard service. If someone really went out of their way and the service was exceptional, you can tip up to 15 percent. If the bill is quite high, like over 1,000 rupees, you can tip a little less.
- Apartment listings: 99Acres
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Ola
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best short-haul air carrier: Indigo
- Best intl air carrier: Jet Airways
- Monthly costs for expat: $410
- Monthly costs for family: $850
- Monthly costs for local: $240
- Meal: $2.5
- Small Cola: $0.3
- Beer 1 Pint: $2
- Coffee: $1.1
View Larger Map