South of India, in the western part of Tamil Nadu, lies the city of Tirupuir. It is known as a major and important center of the countrys textile industry and agricultural region. Nearly a quarter of one percent of exported product comes from the industry in the region.
The city has historical and architectural monuments, among which the Tirupüriti and Sukkresevar complexes stand out. The religious buildings are among Indias largest cultural churches.
- Air quality: 72 US AQI Moderate. Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.
- Tap water: No, not drinkable
- Religious government: Non-religious
- Population: 340,000 people
- GDP: $1,706 / year
- Foreigners can own real estate: Yes
- Power outlets: 230V50Hz
- Internet: 11 Mbps
- Best wireless: Airtel
- Pay without cash: No, cash only esp. for foreigners
- Tipping: At restaurants, you should tip 10 percent for standard service. If someone really went out of their way and the service was exceptional, you can tip up to 15 percent. If the bill is quite high, like over 1,000 rupees, you can tip a little less.
- Apartment listings: 99Acres
- Apartments: Airbnb
- Hotels: Booking.com
- More hotels: Hotels.com
- Best taxi: Ola
- Online electronics shop: Amazon
- Best hospital: Srikumaran
- Best short-haul air carrier: Indigo
- Best intl air carrier: Jet Airways
- Monthly costs for expat: $310
- Monthly costs for family: $600
- Monthly costs for local: $180
- Meal: $1.7
- Small Cola: $0.4
- Beer 1 Pint: $1.5
- Coffee: $0.9
View Larger Map